Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Travel - a Day of "Firsts" for Grace and Rae



This was my first time flying on a plane and leaving the country. At first, I was nervous, then I saw the view through the window and was shocked at how beautiful it looked. I don’t remember much of the plane ride because I had fallen asleep. The plane’s decent into Punta Cana, however, caused me to have motion sickness, but if I closed my eyes the headache and stomach ache would leave. When first getting off of the plane I was hit with a heat wave which made me sweat pretty bad. Besides the heat and continuous sweating, it is absolutely beautiful here. So far, I’ve made a few friendships, and I’m having a great time. The Westin resort is amazing and gorgeous. At this point, I would totally come back on the trip because my experience so far is great. I also can’t wait to learn more about the Dominican Republic and its people and to help out at day camp with the children.

Submitted by Grace Gibson, 
Alleghany Co.




I’m going tell you about my travel to the Dominican Republic. The day of my flight to the Dominican Republic was fun, scary and exciting all at that the same time. I’ve never been in an airport or plane before so everything was everywhere. During the takeoff I cried like a baby. I’m going to tell everything truthfully.  I was so scared and I didn’t know what to do. My new friend Gara was letting me hold her hand which I was truly happy about. I don’t want to go back in the air for a long time.  

As we were going over the water and land I was thinking what my second mom told to look out for, whales. I kept on trying to look for whales I’m not sure if I saw them or not, but I think I did.  I saw so many tiny islands on the way there, the light colored water showing next to the deep blue water. It was beautiful.  I saw some islands with people living on them.  I can tell you one thing - it was a boring flight.  


When we got to our island I was so amazed by how it looked and the island was so green and so full of life. I was so happy to get on the ground I wanted to kiss it so badly and just walk the whole time. The bus was so tiny, when I mean tiny it's just the aisle. Its not that big of problem, I just couldn’t get my belly through.

I saw so many plants, I want to take home and keep. When we got to the resort I was wide eyed and I was ready for the beach. It was amazing, we got checked in and I was ready to go. The sand was so white and there was a lot of seaweed, but it’s the ocean. I’ve only been to the beach twice in my life and I got to go on a beach that was completely new to me. I collected some sea shells.  What I thought was sad about the ocean there was that there’s so much dead coral on shore, I’m glad that were going to the place where they grow new coral. 

After the beach I went to the pool. The pool is cool.  It has a hot tub and infinity pool above the other pool. Just everything here so far is amazing, just amazing. I met some of the Dominican teens as well and they were so nice.  They are teaching me and helping me with learning Spanish. This will make me want to come every year.

 Submitted by Rae Rush, Shenandoah Co.








No comments:

Post a Comment