Saturday, July 21, 2018

Communicating without words


During the first day of 4-H Day Camp, I had a heartwarming experience with one of the campers. While walking back from one of our many interesting tours during the two days at the Foundation, a young Dominican girl began walking beside me and speaking quickly in Spanish. I looked at her and tried to explain the best way I could that I could not speak much, or any, Spanish, considering I only said “No Espanol”. The young camper then responded with “No Ingles”, and then she grabbed my hand. Through the remainder of the walk, this girl held onto my hand and just walked with me. This experience, which would have been almost unnoticed by most, opened my eyes to the warm and welcoming hearts of the Dominican campers and counselors towards the 4-H counselors and adult chaperones.


Submitted by Gara McDaniel, Alleghany County

No comments:

Post a Comment